Monday, November 10, 2008

Elizabeth's First Camporee

Saturday, Elizabeth went to her first Girl Scout Camporee as a Daisy. Most of my troop went besides one girl and then two new members that I could not squeeze in due to the extended deadline for RSVP's for new troops. But the girl's had a blast. We had 10 girls and its amazing how well they get along. Now at least one girl knows another girl from school or preschool (in some cases, they know a few more). But what is special is that there is not one girl that knew every girl in the troop. This gives the girls a chance to start and build new friendships.

This year's theme was Disney. Not only appropriate for Florida, but appropriate in my eyes! LOL! The day started with a very nice flag ceremony. To think, hundreds of girls quiet at the same time...AMAZING!!! There were 6 different activities, some free time, even a GS Swap where each person makes a certain amount of small, inexpensive crafts and then they swap with other girls. Our sister troop was there to partner with my girls. Some of the girls, like Elizabeth, really got the hang of swapping and began to re-swap..heehee! It was very cute.
We left around 5:00ish and I have to say, I was exhausted...but that good exhausted feeling.

I want to give a special shout out and thank you to Emily, Melodie's daughter, who walked and stayed with our troop for quite a few activities. The girls LOVED her!!! She was there as a Senior GS (Cadette to be exact) to help my girl's with crafts or whatever. All my parents went, but having Emily around was a Godsend. Some of the parents were not as actively involved in certain activities because they wanted their girls to have that independence and also interact with Emily or other Senior Scouts running the actitivities. You can see a picture of our troop (556) with myself, my co-leader and Emily...Then there are pictures of Elizabeth....It was definitely memorable for Elizabeth because as I said previously, she lost her first tooth RIGHT before going swimming....!!!
Then, if you are wondering, Jillian was in Tampa for the day at our babysitter, Lindsey's house. This was the first time, besides school, that I have left her ANYWHERE for the day. Lindsey was wonderful with her and Jillian did wonderful. Towards the end, she cried for me, but Jillian had a ball. I did get one call because Jillian did not know if she could poop at someone else's house...LOL! I thought that was cute!!!!

1 comment:

Melodie said...

I'm glad your girls enjoyed Camporee! Emily had a blast with your troop, too.